Donald Trump announced that Elton John will be performing at his inauguration but apparently he didn’t bother to confirm that with the singer himself. According to a spokesperson for Elton John, he will not be playing at Trump’s inauguration.
Anthony Scaramucci said on Tuesday that Elton John would be performing on the National Mall for Trump’s January inauguration. This, he said, is just further proof of the Trump administration’s “commitment to gay rights.”
This will be the first American president in US history that enters the White House with a pro-gay rights stance,” Scaramucci claimed. “Elton John is going to be doing our concert on the mall on inauguration.”
But John’s spokeswoman, Fran Curtis, said on Wednesday that this was absolutely ridiculous. “He will NOT be performing at Trump’s Inauguration!” she wrote in an email to CNN. At the moment, it isn’t clear if anybody from Team Trump ever even asked John if he would be interested in performing at the event.
John is well known for his activism when it comes to HIV/AIDS and LGBT rights. In June, he said that the thought of a Trump presidency made him “fear for the world.”
I fear for the world, globally, with the AIDS situation … [if] Donald Trump gets to be president,” John said. “He’ll marginalize people. He’s already doing it.”
During Trump’s presidential campaign, the bigoted billionaire often used John’s music, including the songs Tiny Dancer and Rocket Man. He never bothered to receive permission, just like he didn’t presumably bother to ask if John would consider playing for his inauguration before announcing it to the world. John made it clear that the unauthorized use of his music “should not be seen as an endorsement of Donald Trump.”
So far, no one from the Trump’s team has commented on Scaramucci’s remarks or John’s response.
Featured image via Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for EJAF